Dealing with a will

If the deceased has made a will, there should be a copy among their personal papers. If you can’t find one, check with their solicitors, bank or other advisors who may have helped them make the will or holding it in custody. In the case of no will, the deceased is said to have died “intestate”, and their estate will be distributed according to intestacy rules. The executors of the will must apply for probate (probate is a legal document that entitles the executor to administer the deceased’s estate)


Some people may find the above process daunting when applying for probate or letters of administration and tend to leave such matters in the hands of a solicitor (this can be expensive). We recommend a legal services company that will advise and help you through the process in the comfort of your own home and are somewhat more economical.